Thank you for your interest in The Capital Hearings!
We currently have a full roster, but would love to speak with you in future audition rounds!
Please complete our audition inquiry form here to express interest in future openings.
First-round auditions are scheduled in 20-minute slots. Auditions will involve range testing, ear exercises, and some melodic and rhythmic sight-reading. Auditionees should also prepare a solo in a non-classical style (pop, rock, jazz, etc.) that shows off your musical skills and stage presence. No accompanist will be provided so you should be prepared to perform the solo a cappella.
Callback auditionees will join the full group for a rehearsal. They will prepare two pieces provided by the group, rehearse them with the group, and then perform their parts in a quartet with three current members. The music will be provided in advance, but memorization is not required. Callback auditionees should plan to stay for the full duration of the callback rehearsal/audition.
About The Group
We are a mixed a cappella ensemble of young professionals. Our members include several former collegiate a cappella music directors, and many members perform in Washington’s larger choruses, have church choir jobs, and/or work as arts professionals.
Our ensemble has received multiple Washington Area Music Award (WAMMIE) nominations, and our albums have received honors from the Recorded A Cappella Review Board (RARB) and the Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards (CARAs). We have performed at venues including the Kennedy Center, Strathmore, the National Portrait Gallery, the Phillips Collection, the Embassies of Canada and Switzerland, the Watergate, the Washington Convention Center, the U.S. Botanic Garden Conservatory, and on Capitol Hill.
Rehearsals are held in Woodley Park every other Thursday evening during the fall and spring, increasing to weekly during the summer and as performance opportunities require. Performances include a major concert in the early fall, several holiday performances in December, and other events throughout the year. We also typically spend two weekends per year together for retreats.
We Look For Members Who:
- Are comfortable singing in both classical choral and non-classical styles. Experience with vocal jazz and/or pop is a plus
- Are outstanding musicians and ensemble singers, with an ear for blend, diction, and style in an a cappella setting
- Possess excellent sight-reading skills and the ability to learn music independently
- Enjoy a collaborative group environment with opportunities to contribute a wide range of talents
- Are strong soloists in any style
- Bring directing, arranging, and/or vocal percussion experience
- Are interested in sharing additional talents: arts or nonprofit management, sound, video, design, choreography, etc.